Log in

No account? Create an account

Degree - Your Unconsious Now

About Degree

Previous Entry Degree Jul. 24th, 2006 @ 10:03 am Next Entry
What would be the best degree to get to use hypnosis in your practice? Right now, I'm working on getting into nursing school. Give me some feedback. Thanks.
Leave a comment
[User Picture Icon]
Date:July 24th, 2006 02:20 pm (UTC)
If you want to use hypnosis skill as justification for higher income, then you definitely will want to have some measurable credentials. There are a number of organizations out there offering tests and certificates for completion. I studied with Richard Bandler and John LaValle, among others, which provided me with the foundation I need, and since then I have been teaching myself through reading, experimentation, and practice.

If you are interested in making your work more effective, I would recommend studying conversational hypnosis and basic NLP/DHE. You can make the necessary changes, without engaging in a formal induction.

Let me know if you have any questions, or if you want me to recommend any books to you.
[User Picture Icon]
Date:July 25th, 2006 01:22 pm (UTC)
For sure if you go and study psychology then you could practice as a therapist using hypnosis. That would probably be between 3 to 5 years in a good University (corresponding to a first degree - Bachelior).

Otherwise you can study psychiatry, in that case you actually study medicine, and that's a PhD (or MD as they call it) and that would be close to 10 years of study including psychiatric specialization. Then you could, like Freud, use hypnosis to fish out of the patient mind whatever needs to be fished out...

Anything else where you would use hypnosis that I can think about will not be as official and as scientific as psychology and psychiatry might regarded as "blak magic" and "mind manipulation" to most of us.

But sure "nurse" is a good start, working maybe as an assistant to a Psychologist who her/himself practices hypnosis, or helping such a practicioner (psychologist, psychiatrist) to prepare their patient, etc...

YOU MUST UNDERSTAND THAT HYPNOSIS ON PEOPLE (PATIENTS) CAN HAVE CONSEQUENCES AND THE PERSON TAKINS SUCH RESPONSIBILITY (YOU) MUST BE SOMEHOW BACKED UP FOR THAT IN CASE SOMETHING GOES WRONG... It is like any other medical treatment, you want to be "licenced" and "approved" by the department of health before you do any such practice. unless you approach this as black magic and new age ... which I would not recommand you.
Date:July 27th, 2006 01:00 pm (UTC)

Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner

What about getting a masters in psychiatric nurse practioner and then getting a PhD in hypnosis (which is possible to get at some universities).
[User Picture Icon]
Date:December 6th, 2006 04:30 pm (UTC)

Re: Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner

Hi, I was just doing a search on hypnotherapy and came across this community (and your posts).

I wasn't aware that you can get a Ph.D. in hypnosis...I think a PNP degree is about 2-3 years. Ph.D. programs in clinical psychology take at least 6 years after undergrad (including your post-doctorate, which is now necessary). I know you can become certified hypnotherapist through different institutions in a year or two or by attending a certain number of workshops. If you got a Ph.D. in clinical, you'd be looking at 6 years after undergrad, minimum, but the Ph.D. in hypnosis my have different requirements (only 4-5 years, I'd guess). Basically, I'd guess a minimum of 9 years, including undergrad, or 10 if you get your Ph.D. in clinical psych instead and get certified at the same time (also including undergrad).

If you became a PNP or an LCSW and became certified later, it'd be about 4 years? It's also sometimes easier to get into graduate school if you did well in a master's program and you have some life experience. As said above, you really want to be licensed and such in case something should go wrong. Everyone needs to cover his or her own behind.

Good luck!
(Leave a comment)
Top of Page Powered by LiveJournal.com